> When I was in Bolivia last month, my 85/1.4D would not focus to
> infinity (using my F5). This happened at 4,300 m altitude. Can the
> thinnner air and its (very slightly) different optical properties
> explain this?

For details see IR/EO handbook vol 2: Atmospheric prop. of
radiation (ed F G Smith) pub. Infrared Information Analysis Center /
SPIE 1993 but in short - the visible band refractive index of air is
sensitive to pressure, temperature and water vapour content
(humidity).

(Since maths and email don't work ... no maths).

Will this produce a loss of infinity focus ... I don't know without
analysing the lens design (and I don't have time for this).

Some things to consider:

1) If the lens contains "ED" elements, these are often made of
glasses which are temperature sensitive (nb this is a generic
statement - individual glasses vary and I don't have access to a
Nikon glass catalogue to check the specific materials).

2) Does the lens focus BEYOND infinity normally (in manual
operation) - whilst this can be part of the mechanical tolerances in
the design, it is is often an indication that the lens is temperature
sensitive.

3) Atmospheric fluctuations can make things look out of focus - at
30C (86F) if you were focusing over an optical path "near" ground
then this can be quite a problem.

> At the time I did not have two Nikon bodies with me, so I could
> not positively conclude if it was a lens oor body problem.
> Temperature was around 30 centigrades. Now, back at sea level,
> everything works fine.

Have you tried it at 30C at sea level?

Andy Shaw