Warwick Patterson wrote:

> I have been shooting mountain bike and skiing for several
> years with an old Olympus OM2, and I am about ready to
> purchase a nikon.  I am getting either the F90x or F5 (I'm
> still debating...)

Get the F90x and spend the difference in better lenses or a second body.
I don't remember the prices right now, but most probably you can get two
F90x for the price of one F5. I go mountain biking and skiing very often
here in Austria, and I know that it can be dangerous. I fell once with
my camera in my rucksack. The camera survived it, but my lens didn't.
With my budget, I couldn't risk taking an expensive camera like the F5
on such a tour. (Besides, it is a lot heavier!)

> and I would like to get some opinions on the following
> lenses (AF speed, quality, compatability with Matrix etc.).
>
> Nikon AF 16mm Fisheye

I've never tried this one.

> Nikon AF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6D IF

I've never tried this one either, but I used a friend's Tamron 28-200
when we did a bike-tour around the country. It is very versatile and
light weight (you know what this means when riding uphill). The optical
quality is fine for me, but some may complain about distortion, flare,
contrast and sharpness. For your kind of photography, I think such a
lens would be ideal, although you might find it a little slow. Why don't
you try Sigma's 28-105 f/2.8-4 instead?

> TAMRON AF 200-400mm
> TAMRON AF 28-300mm

They will give you matrix metering and everything will work fine.

> I am on a budget so I would like to save some money by
> getting some aftermarket lenses, and then upgrade to Nikon
> later.  What should I be looking for in an aftermarket lens
> to ensure I get a good one?

Just examine it very carefully and shoot a test roll. Compare its
handling with a Nikon lens and if you like it, why not buy it??

Greetings,
Friedrich
Graz, Austria