Small problem with my N70

First, let me say that I really like my N70.  The QR settings let me jump
from Vari-Program/Matrix to Manual/Spot in under a second.

My problem is this:  I just replaced the batteries (I have three new sets,
two brands from two stores, all tested as fully charged) and with any of the
new batteries, the battery light flashes and the f-stop reads incorrectly.
I tried multiple lenses, all locked at f22, and still get FEE.  When set to
manual, f22 and f16 read as f11, f11 reads as f8.

Any idea what the problem is?

I will be in Chicago later this week.  Any place I might take it to be
looked at?

If it is really broken and cannot be fixed, I will buy another F70.

C.R.Marshall