Dear Nikoneers,

I don't have the flash manual for the used F601 I just bought - could
someone explain to me how the analog display for possible flash over or
underexposure works?

Even with the onboard flash activated - my F601 still shows possible
underexposure of the backgrd. I can never get the camera to show correct
exposure unless I set it to very slow shutter speeds in Shutter priority.
In Program, AP and Man modes - the camera always shows possible underexposure.

How does the flash know what the GN of my SB26 or Metz 45CT4 flashes are to
predict possible flash over or under exposure? Do the flashes tell it what
GN it is(which I find improbable)?

I just want to know is it is user error (which I think and hope it is)
rather than a malfunctioning camera.

TIA for any info

regards
Shannon