Well, I finally got my hands on an SU-4 remote flash controller after
two and a half months of calling to find one in stock. I've been
favorably impressed by this $80 plus shipping 2"x2" piece of plastic
(I'm not really complaining about how small it is - I like that). The
manual says it may not work in direct sunlight but I took it out for a
test and so far mine seems to have done
so. I got some pics back and they look like it worked although I was
using two flashes outside in daylight (I am seldom organized enough to
systematically test equipment but to my eye they looked right - I'll
learn more as time goes by).

I like the little sound it makes to let you know if the flash: 1)fired;
2) fired at full power; and 3) is ready for another shot. While it may
not be loud enough to be heard in noisy environments, on the other hand
it is probably not so loud to be distracting (nerve-wracking) in quiet
portraiture circumstances. You can cut it off for weddings etc.

The shoe connector on top revolves, so you can easily turn the slave
window around to face the master flash. The slave eye also revolves up
and down. Nicely designed - as you'd expect from Nikon.

A little diffuser card on a plastic arm comes with the SU-4. In certain
circumstances you would want to  insert the arm (looks like a toy crane
arm) into your camera's flash show and flip the diffuser down over the
flash to cut the light output of a built-in on-camera flash.

All in all it seems to be a very handy item. In my opinion and for my
purposes, Nikon cords generally seem to be too short. I'm always pulling
flashes over in their stands. Once you set them up, it's trouble getting
around them etc. The cords will still come in handy. You can still use
the SC-17 to take the master off camera, and I guess you can use the
SC-19s to hook up second TTL slaves if you like.

Richard