> Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 11:31:09 +0100
> From: "Tube" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Sucking the F70 [v04.n310/14]
> Message: 14
>
> What's the difference between the F90 and the F90x? I never hear anyone
> talking about the F90 at all - all you guys seem to have the F90x.

        I have the N90.  Here's a list I've compiled of the differences.

        The N90 does support "D" lenses; it's also paired w/ the SB25.

 o N90s better weather sealing

 o N90s faster AF (some people say "slightly" while others have claimed 25%)

        - 4.1 fps Focus Tracking vs. 3.0 for N90 [From Nikon literature]

        From the "Technology Notes" of the N90s *marketing* brochure (Nikon
        Inc. USA, Code No. 8CE41701) the improved focusing speed between
        exposures (important for Focus Tracking) is due to:

        - Shorter mirror movement time
        - Shorter shutter charge time
        - New coreless motor for faster film advance
        - 2X faster CPU
        - 25% faster lens drive
        - Improved algorithms for focus detection

 o N90s faster motor drive

        - 4.3 fps in CH vs. 3.6 for N90 [From Nikon literature]

 o N90s has more shooting data storage capacity ("more RAM")

        "When storing the maximum amount of data per frame, the N90 can
         only hold 2 rolls of 36 exposure film. The N90s can hold over 30.
         (The Datalink card for the N90s also holds more shooting data in
         its memory than that of the Datalink card for the N90.)"
            - Zack C Sessions <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

 o N90s shutter speeds in M, S, and Flexible Program exposure modes are
   selectable in 1/3 stops, while the N90 is only full stops.

 o The shutter release on the MB-10 grip works with the N90s.  The N90 needs
   a modification to make it work, and digest members from Japan and Germany
   have posted that their respective Nikon Corporations will do the service.
   No information as to the cost or what is modified.  Also, Grays of
   Westminster in London (http://www.yingtong.demon.co.uk/nikon/current.htm)
   have been repeatedly mentioned as providing this service.

 o N90s has a 2-position OFF/ON switch, the N90 has the 3 position
   OFF/ON-silent/ON-beep.  (The N90s can be programmed with the Datalink
   System to be(ep) or not to be(ep)  8*}  sorry...)

 o The N90 has a 2-shot self-timer selection (timer counts down from a
   fixed value - 10 sec. - then takes *two* exposures consecutively).
   This was eliminated on the N90s.

 o Nikon only officially sanctioned AA-sized lithium batteries *in* the N90s.
   However, both the N90 and the N90s can utilize 2 CR-123A lithium batteries
   with the MB-10 grip and the (optional) MS-11 battery tray.

 o The N90 supports red-eye reduction on the SB25, the N90s supports
   red-eye reduction on the SB26 - the two speedlights are very different
   in the way they accomplish this.

Wilderness, wilderness... we scarely know what we mean _/ Christopher Somers
by the term, though the sound of it draws all whose  _/ Rise Technology
nerves and emotions have not yet been irreparably  _/ www.rise.com
stunned, deadened, numbed by the caterwauling of _/---------------------------
commerce, the sweating scramble for profit and  / Gallery: www.flash.net/~jboy
domination.  (Edward Abbey)