Daniel wrote

 > Yes.  I think interpolating between the FP and the standard mode
 > is flawed.   At full power, if the flash took 1/60th of a second,
 > then flash sync at 1/250th, the shutter would be limiting the
 > exposure, which it isn't.  The slowest a portable flash unit ever
 > fires is something like 1/1000.  At fastest, about 1/10000.
 > Studio units are usually fixed at about 1/1000, which is nice
 > because it doesn't cause a failure of the reciprocity effect.
 > 1/10000 can, but I've never noticed.  But then again, I'm not very
 > picky.

I agree I was wrong.

Now if the flash fires 1/1000s, what remains mysterious to me is why does
the guide number drop from 42 at 1/60s to only 20 at 1/250s? If the flash
duration is maximum 1/1000s, why couldn't the flash give the same light
power in both cases?

 > I don't see any way to do that.  I have only the camera and the
 > quick reference with me, not the full manual.

The full manual didn't help me more...

Thierry