> Date: Sun, 29 Nov 1998 12:46:18 -0500
> From: MIKE MOORE <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Lense Question [v04.n142/7]

> I've got a lense question for the panel. I shoot people,
> some of them not the way I'd like ;).  I've got a N70 with
> a Tamron 28-80, and a 80-210. I use the 28 for distorted
> views and the 80-210 at 105 for "normal" views.  I'm looking
> for more of a fish-eye look without the fish-eye cost.
> Would a 20 or 24 be good for this? Any suggestions for
> non-Nikon lenses? Budget restrictions prevent me from
> spending a mint.

> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 09:15:28 -0600
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Igor Marinovic)
> Subject: Re: Fish eye lens adapter [v04.n145/18] [v04.n148/7]

> Two months ago I bought one fish-eye adapter from Adorama.
> It cost less than $50. [snip] There are many other similar
> screw-in type adapters that provide a fish-eye look without
> the fish-eye price ($30-100). [snip]
>
> I used it with my Nikkor 24/2.8 (becomes ~10mm lens) and
> with Tokina's consumer grade zoom 28-70mm. It would fill
> the whole frame with 35mm lenses.  While sharpness in the
> middle is OK, it is poor along the edges. However,
> the fish-eye effect look is what I was looking for.
>
> Igor

I've used the same adapter over the past two years or so.
Some sample photos:
http://home1.gte.net/rhashiro/d-head.htm
http://home1.gte.net/rhashiro/fd.htm  <- takes a longer time
   to download

It has more fish eye effect with a wider lens.  I used the
28mm end of a zoom to produce the effects shown.  You can see
the effect kick in as you zoom from 50mm to 28mm.  It does
the job for ~$60 that it costs, however, I'd like to someday
pick up a real fish eye as this adapter doesn't
have enough "fish eye" to it.  I believe Nikon's current
AF-D model is a 16mm that takes 180 degrees across the
diagonal of the entire frame.  Anybody got a web page
with a sample photo, one of daylight and one of flash?
And, what did you use for a flash?

The second frame of the second page shows what a 28mm will
do without the adapter.  (I think it was the 28mm.  Could
be the 35mm?  I doubt it was the 20mm.)

A 20mm is a neat lens to have to take a photo of people
in context.  See:
http://home1.gte.net/rhashiro/photo-20mm.htm

Watch out about putting people near the corners of a very
wide or ultra-wide lens...

Hope that helps to answer your question and help you decide...

Ron H
Honolulu, HI