Hi Bill,

I send you an overflow of the SB23 cabablities from a Nikon flash brochure:

SB23 works with:

F5, F90X, F70: Multi-Sensor-Flash (without monitor preflash), TTL, M

F4, F60, F50, Pronea600i: Matrix-Fill-in-flash, TTL, M

F3, FM2: no TTL, manual mode on the SB23 only

Hope this helps
regards
Hans-Ferdinand