>  So until I thoroughly understand exactly what
        >  the meter will do under different color conditions--
        >  and I will accept the word of some correspondents
        >  that the color meter's effect can indeed be
        >  detected--  I'm probably better off handling the
        >  metering nuances  myself.

        I agree completely.  Blindly trusting the RGB is
        much better than blindly trusting the center-weighted
        meter -- in situations where center-weighted metering
        gives decent results, the RGB meter will give very
        good results.

        In situations where center-weighted metering gives
        totally unacceptable results, however, the RGB meter
        will most likely give unacceptable results as well.

        Nothing beats a spot meter and a little thought.

        -Don