The problem of the F100 deciding to rewind its film before the end reminds
me of something.

My first SLR was a Canon FT-QL, a late 60's early 70's SLR with a "Quick
leader out to a red mark in the camera, closed the back, fired off a few
blank frames, and you were set to go.  Quite a novelty in its day.

But I had an occasional problem where the film would refuse to advance
before the end of the roll.  If I tried to apply more force to the wind
lever, it would just rip the film's sprocket holes.  I expect that if that
had been an F100, it would have decided that it was at the end of the roll
and rewound.

I brought the camera to the Canon service facility and talked it over with a
technician.  It turned out that some of the film I was using (Anscochrome I
think it was) had a film leader shaped differently than most of the other
brands.  The result was that it would load, but be loosely wound around the
take-up spool.  Eventually, the wound film would fill the take-up chamber
and be unable to wind any more.  After my chat with the rep, I cut the
leader of any Anscochrome film I bought to match the shape of the Kodachrome
leader and the problem never recurred.

Could the F100 problem (if, in fact, it is a problem) be film related?  I
would think that other properties of the film, like thickness or stiffness,
could also be related to such a  problem.  I suggest that  any F100 owners
who experience this problem post it to the Digest specifying the film that
was being used.  Maybe a pattern will emerge.

Can anyone think of other possible problem areas we should keep track of?

Regards
Dennis