Matthew Endo said:

> I would love to see a real time list rather than just a digest version;

Me too.  Miguel misunderstood, perhaps:

> Hmm...actually, I like the list the way it is, in digest version, [...]
> If this list came in real time, that would mean I'd get close to at
> least 50 msgs a day. [...] maybe we could vote on the format our
> list. I'm willing to yield to the majority.

You will have a choice: any good mail server provides both versions of
the same list.  The Nikon digest is available to New Zealand subscribers
in the real-time format.  The "nikon" subscribers see posts as they
arrive, while "nikon-digest" subscribers see them after they've been
bundled into digests.

This is one of the reasons I prefer email lists to web-based discussion
groups.  Michael Ryan gave more good reasons why I am hoping the Nikon
list will move to another email-based system.

Again, the minority shouldn't have to yield to the result of a vote: it
is trivial to gateway email postings to a web server and I would consider
it part of a proper list.  The reverse, moving web-based posts to email,
is trickier due to authentication difficulties.

Ruckdee C.:

> By the way, Andrew, how long do you think you will be allowed to manage
> to keep the Digest up?

I was hoping to move the digest before the end of June (it's fifth
birthday, by coincidence).  It can continue to run, but without the
attention it deserves.

Andrew Donkin                                    Nikon list administrator