<< I was picking up the new 28-105 lens yesterday in one of my local stores
and took a close look at the hood (I think it's HB18). I think it belongs
to the ugliest and most uncomfortable ones in the SLR business and so I'm
wondering what hoods are you all using on that lens. Are you using a hood
at all? >>

Yes, it belongs to the ugliest and most uncomfortable ones - along with the
hood for the 24-120.  I never used a hood with the 24-120 and I wonder if it
could give any shade on other than the 24mm setting.
Actually, I was having trouble in finding the hood when I was changing to
the new 28-105. I didn't mean to get a hood for that either, but the dealer
had ordered one and it was not expensive.
So, I will keep having extra hoods in my closets.

Ilkka