----------------------------
LONG LENSES

>Paying the extra money will be worth it if you need the extra 100mm of
>focal length.  I can't think of anything more frustrating than buying a
>$5000 lens and always using a TC with it because you bought the wrong one!

Always consider the oprions of the Teleconverters.  if you are going to use
a 400mm ;lens forst and a 300mm after that, get the 300 and TC.  If you are
going to go longer, then get the 400.  In other words, whatever you decide
on for yuour long lense sdesired, get the shortest length of the long
oenses, and use the TCs to bump them up.  You can always crop or enlarge
but you cannot make a 400mm a 300mm for anything.

>The TC14E has no bearing on the AF
>speed of the lens, unless you account for the light loss.  But no one can
>upgrade that.  The TC14E just has electrical connection and a stop-down
lever.

The TC14E slows down the AF on my 300AFS, so does the TC20E, but they are
both fine with the 80-200AFS.  The TCs hold a chip as well to tell the
camera about the new apertures, otherwise the camera would still say 2/8
when the lens is wide open.  If they write shorter code that may spice up
the AF a bit.

-----------------------------
300AF

>Subject: autofocus lens 300mm AF ED F4S(IF) [v04.n330/6]
>hallo
>which teleconverter can i use
>in autofocus mode or manual
>mode
>tc 14c ????????
>
>Rolf,
>
>The TC-14E will provide autofocus with this lens. The TC-14B will not
>provide autofocus with this setup.
>Hope this helps.

That info will not help him a bit.  The TC14E will not even mount on the
300/4 AF lens. It will only mount on Silent Wave lenses.  he is better off
using the TC-14B.  I see he typed F4S(IF) but I doubt he has an S version,
Nion fans would be all over that!

Robert in Redlands