Hello-
on Tue, 15 Dec 1998 at 12:33:34 GMT Paul wrote:
>I asked a question a couple of digests ago, and my e-mail was rather long
and
>rambling, but basically I need advice as to whether I should buy an F3
over a
>FM2. Has the F3 any major advantages? I believe the flash sync speed is a
>paltry 90, but other than that what is it that makes it  such a good (and
>still manufactured) camera?

        For me, the F3 has a number of advantages.  I especially like the size and
the ergodynamics.  The F3 fits my hands, controls are easy to operate.  The
size and weight make it easier to hand-hold for long exposures than a
camera the size of an FM2.  IMHO, the mirror dampening is better in the F3.
 The F3 also has TTL flash capability (haven't used it yet, myself).  The
F3 finder shows 100% of the frame vs the 93% of the FM2.  As part of a
complete system, there are accesories available for almost any need (real
or imagined).  The F3 also has the option of aperature priority automatic
exposure control.
        OTOH, the FM2 is smaller, lighter, has a higher flash sync speed (1/250),
uses a standard hotshoe, and has a higher max speed (1/4000).  The FM2 also
has a mechanical shutter, so there is less reliance on batteries.
        Given the choice, I would get the F3.
Jim Colburn