<I have been searching for a document on the web documenting
the compatibility of the TC-16A - does anyone know of one
that exists (like the manual)?  I am specifically interested in
compat. w/ N90s & 300mm f/4 AF / 180mm f/2.8D.>

>From http://www.netdirect.net/watchw/nikon.txt
3.5.3  What is a TC-16A ?

Nikon AF teleconverter TC-16A (1.6x) works on N2020/N8008/N90/F4, etc
but NOT N6006 and N5005 - it does not AF (I've tried on N6006).

The function of this teleconverter is to convert a manual focus lens to
an autofocus one.  This is achieved by moving the glass elements of the
converter itself, not the lens'.  So we have what we call 'rear element
focusing' which is very fast, and the front element never rotates no
matter what lens you are using.  AF lenses will fit, but still the
focusing is done by the converter, not the lens itself.

Normally you focus the manual lens at infinity and let the converter do
the focusing.  However, it will not focus very close.  Sometimes you
may want to focus the manual lens closer so that TC-16A will focus at
close ranges.  In a sense, you 'preset' a coarse focusing range and let
the teleconverter do the precise adjustment.

With regard to quality, in my own experience the teleconverter is not
as good as ordinary 1.6x converters.  Its optical quality is more like
a 2x converter.

This converter is a transition from the manual focus era to autofocus,
and I believe it has been discontinued.

TC-16 (without the 'A') is the version for F3AF.

regards,
Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video
http://www.bhphotovideo.com

We will be closed the following dates: