> The F100 has a couple features not available on
        > the F5 -- automatic rewind and automatic film
        > advance on loading, lock for the thumb-pad on
        > the back, no separate cover to open to get to
        > all the controls.

        You can lock the thumbpad on the F5 by holding the
        'L' button (under the rear cover) and hitting the
        thumbpad.  To have the F5 automatically load the film
        when the back is closed, set custom function 8.

        FWIF, I wouldn't be surprised to see an updated
        F100 before an updated F5.  Nikon tends to introduce
        new features on their 'second-level' cameras.  Once
        they've got some user feedback and worked out all the
        bugs, they put the stuff that works into a completely
        new 'top-level' camera.

        An F100s would be a great test mule for trying out
        whatever new-fangled functionality Nikon is considering
        for inclusion in an F6 camera, without running the risk
        of alienating any of their hard-core (hard-headed) F-type
        customers.

        Any changes to the F5 would likely be small fixes, made
        with no fanfare and no change in designation, like with
        the F4.  They wouldn't want to call attention to the fact
        that they didn't get it right the first time.

        -Don