I found the reference I was looking for concerning
using the Nikon PC lenses on Nikon cameras. It is
in Thom Hogan's Field Reference Manual and he advises
as follows:

FM2n    Both the 28mm and 35mm PC lenses hit the camera's
        meter coupling lever. Do not mount.

F4      Must remove the viewfinder with the 35mm PC
        (Sounds just a bit limiting, doesn't it?)

F5, N70, N90:
        28MM before SN 180900 NG
        35mm before SN 906200 NG

"I only know what I read in the newspaper."

....patrick