Several messages recently have talked about the Imagek system which
supposedly will be a device that emulates a film cartridge by replacing it
with an electronic device capturing an image digitally using an ordinary
film camera.

Honestly, I DO hope such a device comes out. However, there are many
reasons to doubt its existence, or even possibility, without redefining the
specs.

First, the company. Imagek has been talking about this device for some time
-- two or three years I believe. It is still vaporware, and every time an
announced date nears, the company pushes back by a few more months. If they
even had a semi-working prototype, you can bet it'd be plastered all over
photographic, digital, computer, and consumer magazines, with lots of high
quality images as proof of its existence. As far as I can find, there are
NO samples of what it does.

Next, such a device could not just pop into a camera, simply replacing
film. This is for several reasons. First, it is currently impossible to
make a sensor area as thin as film, yet durable enough to last. Such a
device would require at least a modified camera back in order to work.
Next, there simply is not enough room in an area the size of a film
cassette to hold memory, electronic circuitry and battery. Given current
technology, a film-cassette-size memory chip couldn't hold more than one
low-resolution image. With a modified back to provide connections, some of
these limitations can be overcome, but that hardly would be the "drop-in"
replacement touted by Imagek.

Digital photography in general is not yet -- and may never -- be able to
replace photographic processes. Photographic processes are continuous tone
-- digital is not. To capture -- digitally - all of the richness and
resolution of an average-quality transparency requires a digital image file
size of 20 megabytes to 50 megabytes (perhaps more). The equivalent of a
36-exposure roll of film would require upwards of 720 megabytes! Since
there's no way of knowing in advance what images would be okay at a lower
resolution, the image would have to be captured at the highest resolution
the photographer anticipated would ever be needed. Even in these times of
multi-gigabyte hard drives practically being given away, it wouldn't take
too many photo shoots to fill up a whole bunch, and disk drives still take
up lots more space than slide boxes. (Negative film similarly holds far
more data in less space than a digital counterpart.)

Then there's what I call the "Aunt Emma" factor. Suppose you take a roll of
film at a family reunion, and the only shot of "Aunt Emma" has her looking
cross-eyed with a silly grin on her face. Between the time you drop off the
film for processing and picking up the prints, "Aunt Emma" gets run over by
a truck and the last picture you have of her is the "silly" one. But ANY
picture is better than NO picture. If you had photographed her digitally,
in order to save space, you'd probably have erased the "silly" image quickly.

I'm not a troglodyte, nor Luddite, nor technology-challenged. I've
consulted in computer graphics. I understand the technology. But...  I am a
pragmatic realist. I'm an early adopter of just about everything, and I'd
like inexpensive digital imaging devices to equal film cameras also. But
they don't exist now with the quality I want, and probably never will -- at
least not without molecular-level, semi-biological devices not even yet in
theory stages.

I believe the best approach for now is the combination of a good-quality
but fairly inexpensive color printer and a good quality but slightly more
expensive film/transparency scanner.

One other thing about photographs. We know that photographic prints last at
least 175 years. Digital images eventually fade away without proper
refreshing. Whether this is soon or not we don't know, because the process
hasn't been around as long as traditional photography.
--
John Albino
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]