Rob wrote:
>Does anybody know if the following set up would work with a SB-27 to
>diffuse:
>leave the unit in its original/normal position, pull out the diffusor card
>and just fold the front part of the card down and put it straight in front
>of the flash-output.

I do this frequently as a quick means of "softening" the flash
output. It works well, although the diffusor card only covers
99% of the flash output in this position. The card doesn't get
hot either.

>If this works, do I compensate exposure on the flash or
>on the camera (F90X BTW) and by how much?

It shouldn't require any compensation in A or TTL mode. In both
cases the light reflected from the subject is measured anyway. I
certainly don't use compensation (on my FE ;-)

>Normal diffusing as well as bouncing as described in the manual seem quite
>odd.

Yes, they seem quite odd and look even more so, but they work
remarkably well.

Hope this helps
Steffen.

-----