[https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018](https://insights.stackoverflow.com/survey/2018)

^ I'd like to propose this as a discussion topic.

Some brief thoughts:

  * **Python 's popularity is growing** (and all other measures seem to
confirm).
    * I still think it would benefit Nim to better appeal to this group, the
way Crystal had a rapid rise in popularity by targeting Ruby.
      * One idea is a "Python compatibility mode" with Python-like import,
implicit var, public by default, more permissive type conversion, etc.
  * **Visual Studio Code is the most popular editor** with developers at large,
and the Nim community made the right majority choice to make it the dominant
and recommend editor for Nim.
    * Maybe this recommendation should be made more explicit, the way Julia
focuses on Atom and even offers a way to get it as a bundle? This would ensure
optimal first impression for developers trying Nim. Someone who gets an
impression that Aporia is the best way to do Nim development might not get as
good of a first impression...
    * Since vscode doesn't work on all platforms, I recommend also focusing on
vim as the second best supported choice. (It is an editor you can use anywhere
- even any Android device via a Blutooth keyboard and Termux. I use it in
combination with mosh to do Nim development entirely on a VPS, which allows
very fast compile time without owning high-end hardware.) Vim is the most
popular portable editor in this survey, coming in at 26%.

I hope others will make other observations about developer survey