Cool. Thanks for putting some thought into this

I suppose that unrestricted referencing is one of Nim's design decisions in the
language as a whole as well. It is perfectly valid to hold multiple mutable
references to one object. Data can change under your feet at any time with this
setup, so this is more like Java, whereas I was thinking more with the Rust
mindset...

So probably I shouldn't really try to do anything unless I have a structure
that could actually cost memory safety when abused, in which case the
runtime-checked instance state "lock" probably makes the most sense.