Cheers for your help. You are right, compiling Nim is not that hard. Just for
anyone who finds this thread:

    sudo apt install nim
    git clone https://github.com/Araq/Nim
    cd Nim
    sh build_all.sh

    Run

and I have nim 0.19.9 (compiled, but not installed). Whilst this is great,
reading from a device file is kind of a basic requirement for my application
that shouldn't take days to work out, or a bleeding edge release to get it to
work. I was hoping to not have to code a complex application in C, or put up
with the eccentricities of Lua to accomplish my goals.

I have just today received my "Nim in action" book so hopefully I'll revisit
this later but for now I'll have to put up with "do return end" and other such
stupidities associated with a minimalist interpreter. Many thanks for all your
help, and I'll definitely be back when the language is ready.