It turns out this is a noob problem. I started the project thinking, "I would
like to do this as a nimscript project". I'm guessing that access to stdout,
stdin, io, or similar has some restrictions in nimscript.

So when I started the file was project.nims. When I ran into trouble, I tried
it again with a compiled version called project.nim. I forgot that the compiler
looks for a matching .nims file when compiling, so the error essentially
followed to the new file.

This is all working as expected without nimscript or the .nims file.