On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, Eelco Dolstra wrote:

Removing pulseaudio from the dependencies should no longer be necessary, because the "autospawn=no" flag in /etc/pulse/client.conf should prevent it from being started.

Note that this didn't work prior to r28147 because PulseAudio used $prefix/etc for its configuration. Is it possible that you have a binary somewhere (maybe in your profile) that links against an old PulseAudio?

Very possible. KDE autostarts programs when I reboot my system. Even after upgrading my system or my user profile I could still be running lots of old programs. It is difficult to tell.