Hi Peter,

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011 19:43:02 +0200, Peter Simons <sim...@cryp.to> wrote:
>  > I would expect an upgrade to change something installed to the newest
>  > version available, not to the newest version + additional libraries.
>
> If a sufficiently large group in the community feels that way, then we
> could rename python-2.7.1-wrapper to, say, full-python-2.7.1. That would
> prevent those updates. Personally, I feel having that particular update
> path is fine, though.

Apart from the update issue, I would look at all packages that currently
use "wrapper" in the attribute name and/or path (see attached list).

nix-env -i firefox -- works
nix-env -i gcc -- does not work, instead: nix-env -i gcc-wrapper

- who is interested in knowing that it is a wrapper?
- when is "wrapper" used in the attribute path?
- when is "wrapper" used in the attribute name?

I don't see this as high priority, but as questions that should be
answered for sake of consistency.

regards
florian

$ nix-env -qaP \* |grep -i wrapper |grep -v ndis |grep -v tcp-wrappers
nixpkgs_sys.alsaPluginWrapper
ap64
nixpkgs_sys.chromeWrapper
chromium-16.0.879.0-pre100626-with-plugins
nixpkgs_sys.clojure_wrapper
clojure-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.clooj_wrapper
clooj-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.firefox36Wrapper
firefox-3.6.21-with-plugins
nixpkgs_sys.firefox50Wrapper
firefox-5.0.1-with-plugins
nixpkgs_sys.firefox60Wrapper
firefox-6.0.2-with-plugins
nixpkgs_sys.firefoxWrapper
firefox-7.0.1-with-plugins
nixpkgs_sys.firefox70Wrapper
firefox-7.0.1-with-plugins
nixpkgs_sys.gcc46_debug
gcc-debug-wrapper-4.6.1
nixpkgs_sys.gcc295
gcc-wrapper-2.95.3
nixpkgs_sys.gcc33
gcc-wrapper-3.3.6
nixpkgs_sys.gcc34
gcc-wrapper-3.4.6
nixpkgs_sys.gcc40
gcc-wrapper-4.0.4
nixpkgs_sys.gfortran40
gcc-wrapper-4.0.4
nixpkgs_sys.gcc41
gcc-wrapper-4.1.2
nixpkgs_sys.gcc42
gcc-wrapper-4.2.4
nixpkgs_sys.gcc43
gcc-wrapper-4.3.4
nixpkgs_sys.gcc43_multi
gcc-wrapper-4.3.4
nixpkgs_sys.gcc44
gcc-wrapper-4.4.3
nixpkgs_sys.gcc45
gcc-wrapper-4.5.1
nixpkgs_sys.gcc
gcc-wrapper-4.5.1
nixpkgs_sys.gcc46
gcc-wrapper-4.6.1
nixpkgs_sys.gccgo
gccgo-wrapper-4.6.1
nixpkgs_sys.gcj44
gcj-wrapper-4.4.3
nixpkgs_sys.gcj
gcj-wrapper-4.5.1
nixpkgs_sys.gcj46
gcj-wrapper-4.6.1
nixpkgs_sys.gnatboot
gentoo-gnatboot-wrapper-4.1
nixpkgs_sys.gfortran41
gfortran-wrapper-4.1.2
nixpkgs_sys.gfortran42
gfortran-wrapper-4.2.4
nixpkgs_sys.gfortran43
gfortran-wrapper-4.3.4
nixpkgs_sys.gfortran44
gfortran-wrapper-4.4.3
nixpkgs_sys.gfortran
gfortran-wrapper-4.5.1
nixpkgs_sys.gfortran46
gfortran-wrapper-4.6.1
nixpkgs_sys.haskellPackages_ghc6104.ghc
ghc-6.10.4-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.haskellPackages_ghc6123.ghc
ghc-6.12.3-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.haskellPackages_ghc704_profiling.ghc
ghc-7.0.4-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.haskellPackages_ghc704_no_profiling.ghc
ghc-7.0.4-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.haskellPackages_ghc721.ghc
ghc-7.2.1-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.ghdl_gcc44
ghdl-wrapper-0.29
nixpkgs_sys.ghdl
ghdl-wrapper-0.29
nixpkgs_sys.gnat44
gnat-wrapper-4.4.3
nixpkgs_sys.gnat
gnat-wrapper-4.5.1
nixpkgs_sys.gnat46
gnat-wrapper-4.6.1
nixpkgs_sys.makeWrapper
hook
nixpkgs_sys.icecat3Wrapper
icecat-with-xulrunner-3.6.15-with-plugins
nixpkgs_sys.icecat4Wrapper
icecat-with-xulrunner-4.0.1.1-with-plugins
nixpkgs_sys.opensc_dnie_wrapper
opensc-0.11.7-dnie-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.python26Full
python-2.6.6-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.python27Full
python-2.7.1-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.pythonhomeWrapper
pythonhome-wrapper
nixpkgs_sys.vs90wrapper
visual-studio-9.0
nixpkgs_sys.x11
xlibs-wrapper
--
Florian Friesdorf <f...@chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083