> HYDRA_DISALLOW_UNFREE was designed for our buildfarm, where "unfree" means
> "not
> legally distributable". Since the kernel is legal to distribute despite the
> binary firmware blobs (I assume that's your objection?), HYDRA_DISALLOW_UNFREE
> will block it.

"Linux, the kernel developed and distributed by Linus Torvalds et al,
contains non-Free Software, i.e., software that does not respect your
essential freedoms, and it induces you to install additional non-Free
Software that it doesn't contain." [1]

> In general, there's no automatic way to detect what is free and what is not,
> especially considering people's different definitions. HYDRA_DISALLOW_UNFREE
> depends on packagers specifying the license when they add an unfree package.
> If
> someone were to take the time to add meta attributes to each package that is
> free by their standards (or to every one that is not), it would be pretty easy
> to then provide a way for them to ensure their system only has those packages,
> but that initial work is not trivial.

You're right.  I forgot to define the word "free."  Here is a definition
[2] that I had in mind.

Yes, it's not trivial, but still possible.  There is a list of free
distros [3].

Nikita

[1] http://www.fsfla.org/ikiwiki/selibre/linux-libre/
[2] https://gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html