On 03/28/2013 06:46 AM, phree...@yandex.ru wrote:
Here we go again. It isn't even about calligra or other kde apps being unable
to try loading "their" versions of libs. I'm sure you can patch it somehow.

KDE heavily relies on frameworks and plugins, which in practice means that KDE
regularly does stuff like loading some/all libs from $SOME_PLUGIN_DIR. If the
plugin libs are compiled againt different versions of deps or api, it sometimes
results in (not so )subtle breakage. Thus mixing new and old builds using nix-
env is pretty much impossible.

To fix this, you probably have to identify all plugin-based frameworks, put
them into separate packages, and version the framework plugin dirs using
framework's derivation hash or something like this.

And of course, this can only fix crashes. You'll still have unintuitive
behavior like packages sometimes stop sharing plugins when you update one of
them.

Yes, but our KDE apps are probably mostly impure and they like to crash because of it. That's not good as one can't rely on rollbacks etc. which should be our hallmark. Moreover, our KDE does seem to be unmaintained/unupdated for many months.

Other than KDE we only have xfce desktop in a good state (and perhaps enlightenment)... this lack can discourage many users (especially less advanced ones, who often expect to easily setup a full-blown desktop). GNOME currently only contains several applications (especially the gtk-3 version).

Vlada