> I have committed a patch recently that fix building of cabal-install
> with older GHC versions. Maybe that changes makes a difference. If you
> have the chance, please try installing that package again with a recent
> version of Nixpkgs.

It works, but I've tried too many things at the same time.  So it's hard
to tell what solved the problem.  Anyway, thank you so much.

I have another question.  How does 'nix-env -i' determine which version
of a package it should install?

For example, there are two versions of the binary package in
'pkgs/development/libraries/haskell/binary': 0.6.0.0 and 0.7.1.0.
However,

  nix-env -f /home/nixpkgs-github/default.nix \
          -p ~/ghc-6.10.4 -iA pkgs.haskellPackages_ghc6104.binary

installs 0.6.0.0, not the latest.  Is it connected with compatibility
issues?  If so, how does this selection process work?

Can I safely assume that the following versions are the latest that
should work with GHC 6.10.4?

  - binary-0.6.0.0
  - HUnit-1.2.0.3
  - network-2.2.1.4