Andreas Herrmann <andreas...@gmx.ch> writes:
> Well, my reason for not including szip by default was it's license.
>
> Quoting the hdf5-group page [1]:
>
>> Licensing terms
>> The version of Szip distributed with HDF products is free for
>> non-commercial use, which may occur in two sets of circumstances:
>> Non-commercial users may use the Szip software integrated with HDF
>> products to both encode (compress) and decode (uncompress) data. This
>> applies to educational and research applications.
>> Commercial users may use the software to decode any data. Further, they
>> may use the software in internal activities that do not involve or result
>> in the development of an Szip-based software product.
>> Commercial licenses are available for commercial users who wish to
>> distribute an Szip-based software product or engage in commercial uses that
>> are not allowed above. For further licensing information or to view a copy
>> of the Szip copyright statement, see Commercial use terms and the copyright
>> and license notice pertaining to Szip in HDF products.
>
> So, it's a license that requires some thought to figure out if you're
> allowed to use it or not. I thought it would be better not to include it by
> default, so that no one breaks the license unknowingly.
>
> I don't know what the Nix policy generally is, when it comes to licenses.
> Basically, I'm returning the question: Is it okay to include this package
> by default, or not?

I think you were right in not including the support by default.

Further, szip might have to set meta.license = "unfree", so you need to
allow it eg. in ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix.

{
  allowUnfree = true;
}

Opinions?

--
Florian Friesdorf <f...@chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083