Hi.

On 01/02/2015 02:36 AM, Ertugrul Söylemez wrote:
since Nix 1.8 much of the output of nix commands is piped through
`less`, which is certainly meant to be a convenience, but that
convenience depends on a few assumptions:

If you set PAGER=cat or PAGER="" you get pretty much the old behavior.
Also, if the output isn't a terminal, less isn't used, e.g. ``nix-env -q | cat`` or ``nix-env -q | grep foo`` works the old way for me.

I see no harm in having the option. Most importantly, people can choose their preferred way of displaying long output with one variable common to many programs, which IMO rather helps those with special needs (blind; or e.g. PAGER=tail if you always want the end, etc.).

Vladimir