Apparently it's because I'm running KDE.

KDE sets environment.pathsToLink = [ "/share" ];

https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/blob/788800e437c4a0a25d95e217540bded68804b25e/nixos/modules/services/x11/desktop-managers/kde4.nix#L156

{:akward penguin:}

I feel like we should give in a make "/share" part of the default for everyone, but I only gave it 10 seconds of consideration.