Thanks for the replies.  Sorry about the double post.  Gmail had a
seizure. Guess that's what I get for using a beta email system. :)

On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Andrew Farnsworth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 9:39 AM, Jonathan Moore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Don Delp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone have any experience with BackupPC, or suggestions on a
>> > better way to handle backups?  Personally I only have ~4 hosts to
>> > backup, but I'd enjoy hearing about larger backup schemes as well.
>>
>> I've used BackupPC before as a alternative to BackupExec for a ~60
>> Windows XP and about 10 Debian workstations network.  It worked fast,
>> pretty easy to use, the web interface made it simple.
>>
>> I never had to really restore anything with it, other than downloading
>> a file now and then, so I can't say much for that.
>>
>> -Jon

BackupPC does seem the most similar to BackupExec, from my limited
experience.  In some ways I think BackupPC is a little more user
friendly.  I always find it a PITA to mess with the incremental
backups and try to hunt down  a file when the date is at the root of
the file tree and I have to enter the entire file path for each date I
want to check.  (This may not be the case in current versions >= 10 or
for users that have read the manual)

> Jon makes a good point here, don't forget to include in your goals what you
> want to be able to restore?  Some backup schemes are pretty much a
> "snapshot" type backup and would require restoring everything before you can
> get to individual files where others would let you easily restore a single
> file from the backup.
>
> Andy

Since this is just a home network, I hope to stop short of keeping
disk images.  I haven't looked into the option of keeping an old image
and just dropping the most recent backup on top of it.  That sounds
like something fun to play with.

My biggest concerns are a combination of "ease of file restore" and
disk usage.  As long as my data files can be recovered I don't mind
rebuilding the file system.  Right now I don't  use any databases so I
haven't checked to see if there's an easy solution to handle them.  I
think the quick and dirty solution would be to have cron mysqldump
them somewhere that gets backed up.

I think that usually I will only have to restore a few files at a
time.  "Where did our pictures go?" and "xorg.conf was fine yesterday"
are situations that I expect to run into.

My last system was horrible with UIDs.  BackupPC can't be any worse. :)