On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Michael Chaney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> wrote:

> Chris, chill.  Your "legitimate question" contained the implication
> that there is some major difference between mailing list software, and
> that Google Groups was substandard in this ranking.  The premise was
> pretty dumb.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but I don't like your tone.
Never have.  Saying my legitimate question in quotes further proves you are
trolling.  Again, if you'll read my OP, you will see that I do indeed like
Google Groups and I was wondering why the switch. Since Andrew and Rob have
already clarified the switch over, I don't need to question any further.
Whether my premise was dumb or not is not up to you to decide.  If you can't
say something nice, don't say it at all.

> Anyway....
>
> NLUG has never paid for a mailing list.  NetCentral hosted the list in
> prior years and did so freely.  It has nothing to do with money.
> NetCentral had also asked us to find another list host years ago, and
> Google Groups seemed to be the best option (with an automatic archive,
> web interface, etc.) when someone got around to moving it.

Nah, that's cool, I'm glad you got around to clarifying it further without
being snarky.  I would understand that by being a Linux User Group, you
would indeed have your own servers host your own mailing list, web server,
mail server, etc.  It would just be assumed.

> Now, let me help you with nomenclature.  A "troll" is a message that
> is specifically crafted to elicit a response from the clueless.  It
> comes from the meaning in fishing where you basically drag a line
> around a lake hoping something will bite.  Here, I looked it up in the
> dictionary for you:

I don't need "help" from you to clarify what a troll is.  You've proved it
several times in the past and today.  My OP was not meant to troll, illicit
bad thoughts, etc.  If you read my OP and had a bad thought about it, I
would have to say that you took it the wrong way and went on the defensive
early on.

> Quote:
> Hacker Slang: troll
> To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses
> or flames; or, the post itself. Derives from the phrase "trolling for
> newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of
> fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a
> bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of
> newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than
> they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and
> experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall
> for the joke, you get to be in on it.
> End Quote

I see that if my original post was a legitimate question looking for a
legitimate answer and the next post is a "sarcastic" message, it would seem
that in fact you are the troll and you were looking for a rise out of me.  I
could have easily ignored you and went on about my day and been comfortable
in the fact that you are a troll and nothing more.  In retrospect, I should
have.

> What I posted was a sarcastic response to a dumb question, maybe a
> flame, whatever.  Sarcasm!=troll.  A reasonable troll on this list
> would be someone asking a really stupid Windows question, pointing out
> that vim is better than emacs, that Suse rules while RedHat drools,
> something along those lines.

Stop changing the context of your 1st response into a "sarcastic" response
meant to show wit in front of your peers.  You were trolling.  no doubt
about it. Mike, you are no different than you were 10 years ago and nether
am I.

> Chris, had I realized it was "Chris Faulkner" instead of "Dr. X" or
> whatever, I wouldn't have even replied.  So, consider this the
> last....

Consider what the last?  My next reply or next "legitimate question" will be
trolled again by you so stop trying to be magnanimous.  You are no better
than anyone else on the list, or the world for that matter.

> Michael
> --
> Michael Darrin Chaney, Sr.
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]