This discussion came up on one of the SANS lists recently and unfortunately
I didn't save the thread for the references but there is research showing
that if you have a well funded advisory you are better off wiping the drive
once than physical damage to a level less than than total shredding. This
makes sense when you think about it. If you drill say three 1" holes in a
3.5" drive you have left most of the platter undamaged. Thus a data recovery
house can recover all or most of the data in the undamaged area. Back in the
days of floppies there used to be a company that had an advertising campaign
showing a pencil shoved through a floppy and they bragged about how much of
the data was recovered. It's expensive but it's also possible to recover
from physical damage of hard disks. Current theory/tests hold that a single
wipe is sufficient on modern hard drives. If I remember correctly this has
to to with denser data and less room for error. DBAN is great for wipes as
long as the disk doesn't not have errors that cause DBAN for die. In those
cases I do physical damage and hope for the best and assume that no one
really wants my data badly enough to go to the trouble of paying for
recovery. Within a short period I will be starting to encrypt all my drives
at work so this will be less of an issue but I'll still wipe when possible
just to be safe.