On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Howard White<hwh...@vcch.com> wrote:

> Galen wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm fairly new to the GNU/Linux operating system.  Although I've
>> downloaded & played around with different distros for years, I never
>> quite got the hang of it.   About a month ago I downloaded Linux Mint
>> 7 installed it along side Windows 7.  This weekend I removed Windows 7
>> from my hard drive.  It wasn't until I "discovered" Mint that my
>> interest has started to become more than just passing.  Now I can use
>> Linux as my primary OS.  Mint has allowed me to learning about all
>> these other great tools (e.g. using a terminal, running Wine, etc).  I
>> wanna learn more!
>>
>> I was kinda pleasantly surprised to find a Linux user group in
>> Nashville.  I was wondering is this the place for someone just
>> learning about Linux?  I'm thinking about attending your next meeting
>> but I don't wanna sit there with the deer-in-the-headlights look while
>> you all talk about advanced topics.  I would just slowly like to start
>> learning about GNU/Linux.
>>
>> Well anyway,  just thought I'd say hello to the group.
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> Welcome into the world of open source computing.
>
> A quick reminder that NLUG meets monthly on the second Tuesday of the
> month - next meeting September 8 (day after Labor day).  Our next
> LinuxFest is scheduled for September 19 from 1000 to 1700 at Watkins
> College of Art, Design and Film on Rosa Parks Blvd.  The LinuxFest is
> just the ticket for you to get past any configuration issues you may
> have remaining in your transition.
>
> Stay tuned - more coming!
>
> Howard White

Welcome aboard!

When I was in your shoes, only a few years ago, somebody suggested to
me the tutorials at http://www.linuxcommand.org/ .  This site has a
very useful introduction to the terminal and Bash environment.  I
still check back to it from time to time when I can't remember if I
need a semicolon or just a newline.

Now, we run only Linux at home, and my wife never wants to go back.
The TV is powered by MythTV, the workstations are backed up by
BackupPC, and even the router runs dd-wrt.