uh i read the thread and was shocked *shocked* that no one recommended
the road warrior weapon of choice:

        thinkpads (either lenovo or the real IBM ones)

any of them are great. but if you're looking for ultra-kick-ass go for
the T500 (or wait for the T500s) the T400s are worthwhile too if you're
a girly-man w/ puny tiny arms that can't stand the weight of 5lbs on
your waif-like shoulders.

why thinkpad? other than the fact that's it's easy as pie to slap in a
500G hd (for $120 on new egg) and 8GB of mem (HOLY GEEZ!) I would say
the killer is the 8hrs of battery life.

i currently have an x61 and use it as my "netbook killer". it mocks
silly atom based machines w/ its core duo + 4GB/500GB and sub 4lbs
weight. battery life? last friday i forgot to plug in the brick and used
it hard till ~ 5pm when the battery warning finally started flashing @
me.

so the list in order of most badassness:
T400s
T500
T400
T61