Pentium-D vs Core2
Pentium-D vs AMD Athlon/Phenom

Opinions? Differences?

I'm looking at building a cheap system to use as a workstation / server and
have found a cheap Pentium-D dual core system and was wondering how it would
compare to a Core2Duo or an AMD Phenom (or Phenom II).  Any opinions and or
links would be appreciated.  I might use if for some casual gaming but
nothing intense.  I want to run VMs on the system which I will be using for
learning and development, no serious full time services.

Andy