>From my latest return to mysql. here are grievances I am annoyed with.

date or time types can't be manipulated with simple math like functions.
example, in postgres, you can subtract two dates with the expected - and get
what you expect. mysql requires you use specific functions.

Column defaults have to be constants in mysql. Postgres lets you do function
calls for default values. This is how postgres implements autoincrement.

mysql lacks rich data types. Mysql has numeric, date/time, and strings. Postgres
supports those and shorthands to similar functionality that you have to specify
in mysql, like boolean being a smallint(1). Postgres goes on to offer, geometric
types, network address, composite(think struct from C).

Here lately we have been finding more and more ways to make the baby mysql cry
when it comes to large amounts of join tables. Due to the permissions model we
are using, we make calls to the permissions module to create a temp table with
a list of ids for a primary table that we have a specific permission over. So,
we have some queries with 20 or more temp tables we are joining with the primary
table, and then we have how ever many other tables we need to join with to get
the rest of the important data. When we started hitting 40+ tables on a result
set of about 100 or so rows taking over a minute to run. We had to start
changing the way we used the DB. So there the tool is getting in the way. Can't
say for certain that Postgres would do better as we do not have the luxury of
porting and running our software on a different DB.

Use of specific to mysql instructions for data manipulation so as to lure
developers in and make them unable to change platforms. Start with the date
manip
stuff and go to the continence function of reporting back found rows for use in
pagination when you limited the result set.

Yes I have anger over being forced to use mysql, but I figure with enough time,
maybe I can show how it can be better and faster.

Steven Critchfield cri...@basesys.com