Howard wrote:
Amen, Greg.

Was a long time Mandrake / Mandriva user with KDE. Also had FVWM2 on a multi-monitor system for a long time. Switched to Ubuntu a few years ago and became comfortable with that Gnome.

But now I am trying to renew / revive my five monitor system(s) and these desktop managers are getting in the way. Compiz and NetworkManager are both a pox upon us all. I understand that "they" keep trying to gentrify linux to appeal to the muggles.

Meanwhile, I keep hearing the siren song of Slackware, Arch and others. Hadn't thought about FVWM2 in quite a while. hmmmm.

Howard

I can't help feeling most of the window managers are chasing the wrong paradigm. Microsoft applies kludges to fix their problems and half the windows managers chase after them. I think it's time we divorced the tools from the document window. That doesn't mean putting them in their own window, that means have dedicated screen area for them that's sticky. Forget virtual desktops too, have a big single desktop area with "go to" bookmarks. Let's find a way away from the application-centric interface too.