On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Don Delp <nesma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So there have been some changes at work, something along the lines of
> a merger, and I've been told that I need to run Windows (7) on my work
> machine.  I've been running Kubuntu 7.04 for a few years and I've
> gotten used to all of the niceties built in.

Ok, now in all seriousness, has anyone got tips on making Windows feel
more like Linux?

I found a AutoHotKey script that should handle alt+drag:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/get-the-linux-altwindow-drag-functionality-in-windows/

XP had a powertoy for Virtual Desktops that might work:
This might be my best option for 7:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/cc817881.aspx

I found that VirtualBox can virtualize my Linux partition without
having to convert it to an image, but I'm not happy with the
performance.  This might improve as I start running fewer programs in
the vm and run them in the host.  I'm thinking of either running a vm
fullscreen on a second monitor, running in "seamless mode" or
installing andLinux for seamless mode with a smaller footprint.

On the plus side, multiple monitor support finally seems to work
nicely in Windows.

How have you tweaked your Windows machines to make them useful?

--
Don Delp
618.616.2993