VPS hosting comes in a couple of different flavors.  What OS you can use and
what you can do on the box has a lot to do with how they are setup.  Unless
you're getting into the nitty gritty with doing strange stuff with the
networking the portal software they give you is probably more important then
what the VM is actually running on top of.  As far as OS's goes, they hosting
company will tell you which ones they support.  You probably won't know how
hard it is to switch back and forth unless you ask them, buy one or read up on
them in their forums.  Sometimes it's something you can accomplish from their
portal, and sometimes you have to ask them to do it for you with a support
ticket.  As far as what it's all running on top of, here are the general
categories as I see them.

  * Full Virtualization - Using something like VMware or Xen on the back end.
This technically means that you can run whatever OS you want.  However, they
will still need to provide you the mechanism to get that OS installed ( unless
you're really, really creative which I won't go into ), that goes to the
management software/portal that they are using.  The cool part about these
types of VPS's is that you get full access to your kernel/networking and
whatnot.

  * Paravirtualization/Containers - Using something like OpenVZ (aka
Virtuozzo).  These are software based VMs and they can only be hosted on like
minded hosts.  However, many VPS companies will offer *nix, and Windows based
options.  How easily you can switch back and forth has more to do with the
management software/portal and how the company has implemented it then the
virtualization technology itself.  Bad part about these is you don't have
access to make changes to the kernel because it's the same kernel that's
running on the host.  Again, if you don't need to do that, and you don't need
to do crazy things with your networking, then that's probably fine.  These
VPS's are 'sometimes' cheaper as the hosting company can usually run more of
these then the fully virtualized kind.

I've actually used linodes in the past as Michael Chaney suggested and they are
very neat.  Linode has their stuff together when it comes to VPS hosting in my
opinion.

If you have an application that you're thinking about for VPS's spit it out and
maybe somebody can tell you what you should be looking for in a VPS.

-K