Just a reminder, that as more phones come with wifi built in, there is
software for them to turn them into a "mifi". I run a piece of software
called JoikuSpot on my Nokia E71x that will let any machine that can
connect to it via adhoc get a route and route our the 3g connection.

They have a free version that does proxy and not everything works via
the proxy, and they have one I think that was under $25 that does a
more proper firewall/nat and lets all traffic through. I bought the
full version for me, and let my GF use the free one. For what she
does, she doesn't see the difference with just proxy.