On 12/14/2010 09:15 PM, Alex Smith (K4RNT) wrote:
An example of tiered Internet would be pay $10 more a month and get
full speed access to Facebook, or use some other site instead, favored
by Comcast, for the regular price. Same thing with the search engines.
Maybe Yahoo will get preferred treatment for the cheap price, and if
you want to use Google? Extra $15/month.

It would be interesting to see what would happen should an ISP decide to try and extort Google. I'd imagine it would be companies with a bit less leverage that this would be aimed at.

My impression was always that it would be the companies themselves that the ISPs would try to deal with anyway. If you try and charge Marie-Sue $5/month for faster Yahoo, she just won't pay it. So you go to Yahoo and say "Nice business you have here. It would be a shame if someone were to drop your packets on the floor"

I think such a model would quickly fail anyway for legal or financial reasons. Where I can see it having more of an effect would be for ISPs to block/hamper applications like Skype in order to try and sell you their VOIP solution.