----- Original Message -----
> On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 4:49 PM, David R. Wilson <da...@wwns.com>
> wrote:
> > I am curious if anyone knows of any legitimate claim DHS has to
> > being able to take down web sites by DNS modification?
> >
> > I don't know about you guys, but this is getting a bit old to me:
> >
> > http://www.infowars.com/dhs-seizes-websites-for-merely-linking-to-copyrighted-material/
>
> It was ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement), other sites say they
> teamed with the DOJ. Still why ICE would at all be involved with
> copyright infringement re websites seems a stretch. Knockoff Gucci
> bags from China okay that falls under customs, but this?

If the sites are domestic, DOJ can go after them directly. But if they are
hosted abroad, when accessed by someone domestically, it is importation, and
therefore falls under customs.

It is kind of like some of the import music scene, if you buy the product
abroad and the local licensed importer wants to enforce some license agreement,
they can claim your import is a illegal copy in the US because they didn't
get paid.

Shakey both legally and morally, but it is there.

--
Steven Critchfield cri...@basesys.com