I have mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand, I don't want our
government to be able to pull this business that Egypt pulled to quell
rebellion by shutting off the Internet in the entire country (which is
stupid and didn't work, anyway.)

On the other hand, what if we had some kind of massive cyber attack against
our country and the best way to contain the damage was to ask individual
ISP's to shut down some or all traffic? (the way the CDC might quarantine a
virus outbreak in a city by preventing traffic in or out.)  A few years ago,
I might have considered this kind of cyber attack science fiction but with
the very successful attack by Stuxnet <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet>,
I don't consider this just a wild idea but a pretty real concern.

Chris