The 2-21 date is 60 days from the date the rule was written by the FCC.
That is the date the rule is supposed to be in force.

As I may have mentioned before it is fairly common for ISPs to block a
particular sub net to stop attacks.  I think handing that authority to
anyone else is a bad idea.

If you want something that works when the net is dead try
http://www.arrl.net .

Mesh networking is a good idea too.

Dave