>From the Discuss mailing list of Bostons BLU LUG.  Thought some others
might have some interest.

><> ... Jack
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Richard Pieri <richard.pi...@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 8:42 AM
Subject: Re: [Discuss] OpenSuSE's answer to Dropbox:  ownCloud
To: disc...@blu.org

On 12/21/2011 11:15 PM, Rich Braun wrote:

> Monitoring the OpenSuSE website, I ran into the following blog entry
> timestamped yesterday:
>
>  http://news.opensuse.org/2011/12/20/opensuse-and-owncloud/

Just a point: ownCloud isn't anything magical, nor is it
Linux-centric.  It's a nice UI framework for WebDAV servers.

Which means that in practice it is only half of a Dropbox clone -- or
more pedantically only half an iDisk clone as iDisk predated Dropbox
by 7 years.  ownCloud does the sharing just fine but there is no local
cache.  If you are off the 'net then you're off the shared space.  The
caching + sharing make Sparkleshare interesting as a full-on iDisk
replacement, and Git's conflict resolution makes it a potential
killer.  Unfortunately, the lack of a working Windows deployment makes
it a non-starter.

What I've been supporting for my users in the Lab are Git and Unison.
I've deployed Git servers for several collaborative projects, and I've
deployed the SmartGit GUI to the semi-techncial users who don't want
to get their hands dirty with the command line tools.  They've been
pleased with this, particularly Git's complete replica nature.  They
can work while traveling and sync up their changes when they have
'net.  What's also nice about Git is that it uses SSH for data
transfers.  That makes it easy to use my existing authentication
infrastructure (LDAP+Kerberos) for access control.

I've deployed Unison for users who have multiple computers in
different locations and have a need to keep them in sync with each
other.  In fact, this has worked so well even with the manual sync
process that I switched from Wuala to Unison when the former
terminated the storage sharing option.

--
Rich P.