On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM, Howard White <hwh...@vcch.com> wrote:
> Having major learning grief trying to solve issues with backup scripts.  The
> core utility used in these scripts is "afio."  The grief comes from scripts
> that barf out giving us a statuscode but damn if I can find the magic
> decoder ring that expands those codes into something useful. Even "probable
> user error, correct and resubmit" would be progress...

My reading of the source suggests that occasionally it will spit out
an exit code of 2 for a corrupt archive, but otherwise, it will only
ever return a status code of 0 (for successful) or 1 (which is for all
errors).  The description for the utiltiy suggests that it is
cpio-compatible.

> Tape backup works sometimes.  Backup to usb disk fails every time.  Huh?

Is the USB disk mounted correctly?  Note that you need to use a file
for this, which a tape device already is, but a USB disk would require
it to be mounted, have a filesystem on it, and be writing to a file on
the filesystem.  USB disks are block-level devices, not character
devices.

-Tilghman