On Fri, 2012-12-21 at 13:12 -0600, Kent Perrier wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Jack Coats <j...@coats.org> wrote:
>         Yes, that isn't very PC, but we not talking people here.  My
>         Ubuntu 12.04LTS laptop is acting up.  It just 'randomly'
>         freezes for various amounts of time, 2 sec, 60sec, 10 sec,
>         etc, and of course in odd times.  With load and without.
>          Running browser or not.
>

>         Suggestions on where to go look for issues?  Simplest solution
>         is to open my pocketbook, but we all know how cheap I am.
>

>         Laptop is Lenovo T61 120G hard drive, 4G ram, on a dock and
>         locked in (normal place for it usually).  Power is from a UPS
>         to keep down 'local noise'.  Running wireless, not wired
>         networking.  Ubuntu has latest updates installed (daily), and
>         the (mainly wireless) network is shared with mainly windows
>         boxen and some others that don't seem to be effected.
>

>         This just started about 3 weeks ago.
>

>         Thanks in advance guys!
>
> The first place to start is the hard drive. Can you pull the SMART
> diagnostics off of it? Anything in syslog?
>
> Kent

I would second that.  If it is still up and functional when it finally
seems to recover, that indicates that the hardware (at least not the
motherboard and RAM) is not likely to be the problem.  Disk drives are
the most likely candidate.  It would be rare, but I have seen problems
with networking hardware doing such things (mostly not on Linux, but on
older versions of Windows).  I had a new laptop a few months ago that
would crash after anywhere from a few minutes to an hour or two worth of
running.  Since it required a reboot to get it sane again, I suspect a
hardware issue on the motherboard was the culpret.  If the hard drive
shows it is OK, I would consider (with power off) removing and
reconnecting the drive(s)(CD/DVD drive included) just in the event it is
something in the way of a flaky connector.  It would not hurt to run
memtest to see if that shows anything.

Let us know what is in the logs.  If a drive is not the problem,
hopefully something useful will be there.

Dave